A decade of Tallassee Times
By Michael Butler
Ten years ago, on Sept. 23, 2008, the first edition of Tallassee Times was posted online. The web address: www.tallasseetimes.com, has been visited more than 6.5 million times since. Web surfers from Tallassee to Tibuktu view the site every day with an average now of approximately 10,000 impressions per week.
There have been 520 weekly editions with updates to the site added on a daily basis. More than 10,000 stories have been posted.
The 2008 Tallassee football team, coached by Rodney Dollar finished 8-3.
In the very first edition, the introductory message was this: "Welcome to Tallassee Times, Tallassee’s on-line newspaper. The world wide web has become an integral part of our lives. We hope that Tallassee Times will be an outlet for you to learn more about happenings around Tallassee, and that you will visit the site often. We will make frequent updates and your input is welcome."
The first article was a summary of Tallassee. "Tallassee is our town - like the theme song to Cheers, "where everybody knows your name." Tallassee is that kind of community."
A lot has happened in ten years. George McCain beat longtime mayor Bobby Payne in the mayoral election in Tallassee in 2008. The Hotel Talisi was serving fried pulley bone chicken then.
Here is what readers had to say after seeing Tallassee Times for the first time.
- Love the new website! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Count on me visiting the “Tallassee Times” often! Great job - Susan Dillard
- Michael - I am pleased to see the website... especially living out of town. Keep up the good work - Bobby Dennis
- Two thumbs up Michael. This could be bigger than the Tribune in real short time if you are willing to put the time and resources into it. I am already a customer - Rhett Dennis
- The Tallassee Times webpage looks great ... we have long needed a site like this - Michael Bird
- The prospective of news looks real good to me. It seems all ages and ways of life are covered. We need you to keep this up. Keep up the good work - Jim Alice Cullars
Time flies when you're having fun. Thanks for reading and helping this site to grow. Here's to many more years of Tallassee Times in the decades ahead.
Top 10 Stories from the Past 10 Years