News Sports Opinion Photos Social Classified Obits Contact
Photo courtesy of the Tallassee Fire Department

Father and son lose home to fire

By Michael Butler

Larry "Tut" Spivey was just ten years old when his family lost their home to a fire. The house was where McDonald's is today.

On Saturday, Sept. 3, Tallassee and Friendship Fire Departments responded to a structure fire at 307 Dorman Avenue in East Tallassee. The home was the residence of Spivey and his 15-year-old son. It was a total loss.

"It's very devastating," Spivey said. "I was out of town when the fire took place. When I got back home I heard that the fire had been set by some teenagers. I've contacted the state fire marshal. It's under investigation."

Although the family's personal items can not be replaced, at least no one was hurt.

"My first thought was why did it happen and how could they would do this," said Spivey. "I had a puppy that was supposedly burned in the house. Over the weekend, I got a text message from a teenager. He stated that he had my puppy. He did have the dog. I went and picked him up. That tells me someone had broke into the house and got the dog and then set the fire."

The Spiveys are now in need of clothes and other items.

"I don't have anything, basically what I have on. It's a tough situation. Any kind of donations from anyone would be grateful."

Those wishing to help may make donations at First Community Bank in Tallassee. Clothing items may be dropped off at 406 James Street in Tallassee.