News Sports Opinion Photos Social Classified Obits Contact

Tallassee among state's best suburbs

By Michael Butler

A survey by has ranked Tallassee one of the best places to live. The survey considered multiple criteria from schools to housing. listed the top suburbs to buy a house citing the study with Tallassee No. 25 in Alabama.

According to the U.S. Census and other statitics, Tallassee was top rated in the state for lowest cost of living out of 288 cities.

Tallassee received A ratings in housing, cost of living and diversity. It had B scores in public schools, good for families, jobs, crime and safety, weather and commute. It received C's in outdoor activities, nightlife and health and fitness.

Tallassee was the rated third among places to buy a house in the Montgomery area. Pike Road was first, followed by Blue Ridge. Madison was tops in the state in the category.

The average home value in Tallassee is $86,900 compared to the national average of $184,700. Median rent is $535 per month with the national average at $949. 55 percent of Tallasseeans own their homes. The other 45 percent rent.